Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans
- 1 cup roasted red peppers with their liquid (jarred is fine)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon (about one lemon)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (found in Mideastern or peanut butter sections of your large grocery)
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash cumin (you may want a pinch more, I'm a wimp)
In a large bowl, under running water, rub beans between the palms of your hands as if you are washing your hands, the bean skins will rise to the surface of the bowl of water. The running water will help the skins slide off the top of the full bowl into the sink waterfall-style. Slough off the bean skins best you can. This may seem a bit tedious, but makes all the difference!
Toss beans into a food processor with all the ingredients but the olive oil, and process, slowly drizzling in olive oil until it's the consistency you like. I like it thick, but not so much to break the chips, I used about 1/2 cup.
Taste for salt, cumin, or lemon. You may prefer more.. Play with it and make it your own. :)