To save oil, I like to make these in the same oil right after I pull my Honey Kissed Corndogs out of the oil.
On to the recipe so you can make some too!
- enough canola oil for about 1-2 inchs of oil in the bottom of a large heavy pot
- 1 cup Aunt Jemima Just Add Water pancake mix (the ONLY pancake mix I use, it's just that good.)
- 3/4 cup grated pepperjack cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- small bunch green onions, trimmed and sliced, including some of the green part
- pinch of cayenne, if you like lotsa heat, add more!
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- kosher salt for lightly sprinkling on the bites after they come out of the oil
Add the pancake mix, green onions, cheese, and seasonings all together. It'll be very thick, like dumpling dough.
When the oil is hot enough, drop by very small spoonfuls, like about a teaspoon size, into the hot oil like you would dumplings into bubbling stew.
Just do a few at a time so they don't stick together. Plus they go fast! Turn over when they start to turn deep golden brown on the underside.
Great dipped into the tart sweetness of my easy Honey Mustard Dip, or ranch, or sprinkled with your favorite hot sauce!Yum!