Friday, September 16, 2011

Homestyle Refried Beans

My Homestyle Refried Beans topped with Spicy Shredded Beef , cheese, sour cream, green onions, and yellow corn tortilla chips.


These may not be authentic style, but they are homestyle and with these, I see no reason to slave over my cast iron when I can buzz them in my food processor. I can not help it. Yummy refried beans, minimal cost, minimal work. LOL

It's so easy, it's almost another nonrecipe!
So on to the nonrecipe!

  • one pound of dried pinto beans
  • small chunk of salt pork, about 1-inch by 2 inches big or so. I like the flavoring this gives the beans, but I don't want them to taste like bean soup.
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
Sort, soak and cook beans according to package directions with the salt pork. When beans are very tender, drain and remove salt pork. You can toss it or use it for something else.

You may have to do this in two batches if your food processor isn't big enough. Just be sure to mix everything together well in a bowl when you're done.

Put beans, beef broth, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until creamy and smooth.
Tada! That's it!
Make sure you taste for salt! And take into account the saltiness if your chips if you're going to use it for a dip; you might want to cut back on the salt a little.

It's even better the next day!
I used them for nachos in the picture above. oh my! YUM!  Only thing missing is my avocado!

No comments:

Post a Comment