Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Vintage Custard Filling Recipe

I love this stuff. I could eat it right out of the bowl with a spoon!
This is a Betty Crocker recipe from 1966 and I don't think I've found another I like better. The key is like with making gravy; be sure to cook it as directed so you don't have a floury taste.

Be sure to put plastic wrap down onto the top of the custard so it doesn't develop a skin as it cools. I also don't seal the edges tight, so the condensation doesn't leak down into the custard and make it yucky.

  •  1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon butter, unsalted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix sugar, flour and salt in a saucepan.
Slowly whisk in milk, and cook over low heat, stirring until it comes up to a boil.
Boil while whisking, for 1 minute.
Remove from heat.
Very slowly, drizzle hot mixture into egg yolks while whisking eggs vigorously, until all of the hot mixture is into the eggs.
Pour all back into the saucepan and bring up to a boil again. <--important so your custard doesn't taste like flour paste.
Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
Cover and chill !

This is a FILLING recipe, so you can use it between cake layers, to fill cupcakes, donuts...just about anything you want to fill.

I used it to fill a cupcake recipe I saw on the Today Show.  I also used semi-sweet in the gnache, instead of the bittersweet the recipe called for. And I waited until the chocolate was thicker set before I put it on the cupcakes. I wanted them easier to eat. :)
The result was a Boston Cream cupcake that tasted JUST like my favorite Boston Creme doughnuts! 
SO good! I'm already wondering who I can give some too, so I can stay out of the rest. haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment