Saturday, August 6, 2011

Blueberry Sauce

I love using this sauce for a syrup, ice cream topping, in oatmeal, smoothies, anything you don't mind turning that lovely purple. :)
This is a rough recipe. Adjust more or less cornstarch and sugar to your liking of sauce consistency and sweetness. I like mine fairly sweet.  Just remember it'll thicken up a lot when it cools and in the fridge. I like to put the stored sauce in the microwave and warm it up before topping my ice cream. OH YUM!
It was still hot and thin when I took this pic. I couldn't wait any longer! haha!
On to the recipe! It's so easy it's almost a non-recipe!
  • about 1 quart 3 cups of fresh blueberries.  I forgot to measure them. haha..sorry. But it was a little over half a 2 quart box from the farmer's market.  Next time I'll measure exact and edit this for you. Or I'll try. I'm always tossing in a couple extra--just for good measure. Really.
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup of water (or less if you want more berries and less sauce. I love extra saucey berries.)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons water
 In a medium saucepan, start to warm your berries and sugar over med-low heat; stirring occasionally.
mm..much to my dentist's horror, I could eat them just like this.
So, babysit the berries, stirring more often as the berries and sugar come together.
After about 4-5 minutes or so, the sugar will have melted and the berries poppin' and juicin', and coming to a simmer. If they're getting too rowdy in the pan, turn the heat down a little so they don't burn.
hm. You can't really tell in this picture, but it was simmering. Trust. I can almost smell them.
Add the water, melt the cornstarch in the 2 tablespoons of water and add, while stirring, to the berries.
Keep stirring. Turn the heat back up a little if they're simmering too slow. You want a nice, healthy simmer unless you don't mind waiting longer for your warm ice cream topping.  I didn't think so. :)

After the cornstarch, the sauce will be a little cloudy, but don't worry! It'll clear up in a minute or two.

Add more sugar at this point, if you like.

Try to resist adding too much cornstarch and water because it'll thicken up as it cools and after a night in the fridge, if you put too much in, it'll be like a blueberry jam. Which isn't bad either. Just put on toast or warm in microwave for a topping.  :))

Simmer for about 10 minutes, then take off the heat and cool, stirring occasionally!
That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment