Thursday, August 11, 2011

Honey-Kissed Corndogs

I just love these soft, slightly sweet corndogs.
Be warned, if you have a high frustration level, this recipe works better for half-dogs than it does for a full corndog. ha! True!  On my second full-sized corndog, I was beginning to wonder if I really wanted a corndog THAT bad, and maybe I should just give the half-sized to the g-kidlets and be done with it. LOL But I persevered and they turned out great.

 SO, when I make these again, I'll just stick to the half-sized.  And eat double. haha :)
Also, I was going to add about 1/4 teaspoon of dry mustard, but I forgot and I didn't even notice until I was going over my notes I jot down while cooking, and noticed I'd forgotten. They tasted awesome, so I don't know if I'll ever add it.  So that one is up to you.

Be sure to work quickly, because the longer the batter sits, the harder it is to get to stay on the long dogs.
Enough chit-chat! On with the recipe!
  • 6 hot dogs, preferably cut in half (lol), poked with something thin like a thin meat thermometer, and a popsicle stick inserted halfway into the dog
  • 1 1/4 cups flour, plus 1/2 cup for rolling the dogs in.
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 or 12 wooden popsicle sticks 
 Sift together all the dry ingredients like this:
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the beaten eggs, milk and honey and mix together well, until there are no lumps.
When dogs have sticks inserted in them, and oil is about 300 degrees, roll dogs in a light coating of flour, dunk in batter, using a spoon to help cover the dog quickly and to help pull it out of the batter without the batter falling off. When it's covered with batter, quickly transfer it into the hot oil.




Fry until the underside is a deep golden brown and flip over to fry the other side. When it's done, take out gently with a spider spatula or tongs and place on paper towels to drain.


oooooooooooo so yummy!
NOW the tart-sweet honey mustard. Are you ready ?  Equal amounts of French's mustard  and a good honey! That's it!! FANTASTIC! I'm not kidding. So simple, SO good.

Those are my Pepperjack Cheese Bites alongside the corndog. :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment