But can it really be THAAAT bad with wonderful fruit in it? ;)
I used fresh blueberries, fresh chopped leftover plums, and some leftover canned peaches (drained), but you can use any combo of fruit you like.
Just make sure all fruit is drained (juice reserved) and frozen is thawed and drained, or you will have a runny dessert. Also, the marshmallows are optional. I like to add them for a little fun color for the kids.
On to the recipe!
- 1 cup acini di pepe pasta
- 1 cup chopped canned peaches, drained, reserving liquid
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped tart plums, drained if they have been sitting chopped in the fridge, and juice reserved
- 1 1/2 cups of fruit juice from the fruit. Use water or another light colored fruit juice to equal 1 1/2 cups if you don't have enough juice.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- one recipe of Homemade Whipped Cream (recipe below)
- 2 handfuls mini multi-colored marshmallows
- optional: walnuts for a little added crunch
Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally until almost done; al dente. About 7-10 minutes.
Drain and set aside. Do not rinse.
In a separate medium saucepan, whisk reserved liquids from the fruit, or another juice or water to equal 1 1/2 cups of liquid, sugar, vanilla, beaten eggs, salt and flour. Whisk briskly and cook until mixture becomes very thick. Remove from heat.
Combine with pasta, cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar