Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Individual Lava Cakes

These decadent little cakes are so good, you'll definitely feel sinful eating them! hehe..
Dusted with powdered sugar and topped with vanilla ice cream, cancel your plans and be prepared to bask in their chocolateyness (yes, my technical term, use it in a sentence today. ha) for awhile after eating.

I regret being so excited, that I neglected to take a good after pic, showing the inside gooey chocolate and vanilla ice cream flowing over the top. Next time I will, because I'll be making these again very soon!

 I modified Paula Deen's recipe for Molten Lava Cakes, I highly recommend watching her video at that link on how to make these, if you haven't made these before. They're very easy, but the video helps. :)
On to the recipe!


  • 8 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate (I used one bar of Baker's)
  • 10 tablespoons of butter, room temp helps
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus some to dust
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 3 egg yolks (freeze whites for later use! Waste not, want not!)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and butter the ramekins. I used 4 small and 2 larger. Be sure to butter them WELL so the cakes slip out later, just like on tv! lol
In a double boiler, or a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water, and using a whisk, melt the butter and chocolate.

 Turn the heat off near the end so not to burn it, and continue whisking until everything is melted.

Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar until well blended.
Quickly whisk in eggs, whisking vigorously so the eggs don't scramble, and then the egg whites.
Stir in the flour and divide evenly among the ramekins.

I could just get a spoon and eat it like this!
Put ramekins on a baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes, about 20 or so for larger ramekins. Sides will be firm, but the center will be soft.

mmm I can almost smell them. Let them stand for a minute or so, then run a knife around the edges to loosen.
Using a pot holder, carefully flip the ramekins over onto a dish or bowl, and the cake should come out easily.
Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
I discovered the next day they were more like brownies and didn't warm up like a fresh lava cake, but they were still good under ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment